Thursday, November 28, 2013

The endless Densi jig and the woes of being a clandestine fan

Last episode of NCIS:LA 'Frozen Lake' goes down as being one of my most favorite NCIS:LA episode of all time. I was initially wary of watching it as I hate being emotionally manipulated by TV shows and to be honest, I was not too optimistic about how things would turn out. NCIS:LA does have an impressive track-record of messing things up after all. But this episode they did very right. I needn't have worried - and after all the script writer was Mr. Kalstein. I always love the episodes he writes and this one did not disappoint at all.

Good things
-The frozen lake metaphor! I was all over that one - it was such a well crafted and incredible metaphor. It was very well applied during the episode and well woven into it. And realistic, I can't imagine how many times people have experienced something like that - always waiting for the one thing they think will make everything right. And it was a pure dream for an English nerd like me.
-The Ghurka. I really liked the character and the way they incorporated him into the show. They manage to give him a back-story and motive and you get a really good feel of him. He was very well developed as a character. I was straightaway caught up in him and interested in knowing more. And the actor who played him was incredibly good. It is not often I get so caught up extra characters on NCIS:LA. 
-The acting was absolutely incredible. Just brilliant! NCIS:LA despite its many mishaps always delivers incredibly good, spot-on acting which is certainly not always a component of tv shows (CSI being a good example...). It is one of the reasons I watch the show. I got completely caught up with the characters and watching their journey and I was very impressed!
-Sam noticed Kensi was wearing the same shirt. Considering Sam's track record with always wearing the same clothes (I imagine he is meant to owe like 15 pieces of the same clothing in the same style) I was surprised but it was amusing.
-NCIS:LA did not mention Russia for the first time in forever. It was a definite plus. Instead they futured India and Nepal and did it quite well and were accurate with the information they used. It was a definite plus for them and yes, this does show that they can do absolutely fine with material that does not involve Russia.

And there was movement on the jig. Something did happen between them and they acknowledged it. Yes, NCIS:LA did pump it for all it was worth but it didn't feel manipulative or drawn out. It felt realistic and I highly appreciated that. There are ways to go but with luck this will turn out well. It reminded me of the last episodes of season 4 of Castle before C and B got together. It was so heart-wrenching to watch but so well done.  
In any case I highly enjoyed the episode 'Frozen Lake' 

Bad things (yes I am mean)
-Deeks walked around as if nothing was going on wearing a shirt with a bloodstain on it! And he was completely calm. I did not get that. This is the second time NCIS:LA has had a mistake like this - the best example being when they had a person with PTSD who had been in a gunfight and yet he wore the same blood-stained t-shirt for most of the episode. Who does something like that?! I imagine had this happened in the NCIS world Abby Sciuto would have thrown a fit had she seen it. I know I would be screaming my head off in fright. But then again, NCIS:LA characters are not exactly the definition of normal, rather the very definition of dysfunctional and I expect this was part of it. 
-Nuclear weapons again - not exactly working the creative front but at least it did not have Russia so there is hope.
-The use of intensive dramatic close ups. This was a very dramatic episode and whenever something important was going on emotionally with the characters, they used very dramatic close-up frames. Every single time. With me being the terrible fan I am I was laughing every time it happened. It felt like: "Ok, dramatic scene. Cue to close-up, the more the better". 

And before I go: I am a terrible NCIS:LA fan. I am happy to discuss NCIS with people but NCIS:LA, that's another thing. I instead sneak into conversations lightly that I watch it as well as NCIS, that it's not the best show but I like it and watching it is an excellent way to forget studying and then I do not comment more on it. I have been watching it for over two years now and only last week was the first time I ever discussed the show with someone. The first time and incidentally it was a fellow NCIS fan and friend that has seen some episodes of NCIS:LA (our convo included a 'Yay Nell'). So I am an absolute clandestine fan of NCIS:LA that likes watching it (hell, I write about it) but feels embarrassed about it at the same time. 

I am however quite happy to let everyone know I am a devoted Castle fan :) And I love the word 'clandestine'




No comments:

Post a Comment