Sunday, September 22, 2013

Parks and Rec + Denmark/Nordic = Awesome!

One of the many reasons I like Parks and Rec is that the show is stock filled with Nordic references. As a proud and highly egotistical Nordic person I am more than happy just how often Nordic countries are featured. It is such a delight to watch the show and see how they manage to interject references in the most random places and in the most hilarious ways. They manage to make it funny every single time.

I am going to mention a few specific examples which I love

4x07 - 'The Treaty' - Leslie represented Denmark in a mock UN convention. This surprised me as I expected she would represent some more known country like Britain or Germany. But having Leslie represent Denmark was the best. This episode is one of my most favorite one's. They managed to represent the Nordic countries, both mentioning them and showing their flags. I admit a felt a bit of pride seeing the flag of my own country there.

One of the best scenes was one Leslie tried to get Andy to represent Iceland - which he did not want to do because they were the bad guys from 'Mighty Ducks 2' - that was an obscure but awesome reference! Then he got Finland and decided at the convention to swap the Finnish army for 50 lions from Kenya believing it was much better. At that point in the show I was howling with laughter. An honorary mention also goes to the scene where Leslie tries to gather all her Nordic friends (the countries) to declare a war - The Nordic countries have a really strong cooperation and a good bond and I was happy they included that in the show. It shows they did some research.

Click here to see the scene with Andy

And then, the best part was they had Leslie speak Danish. I am a fluent speaker of Danish and I have to say, Poehler had a remarkably good accent in that scene. Danish is not an easy language to speak and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Danish sounded.


Another great bit that will be coming up is the fact that Leslie meets a Danish woman played by Heidi Klum, that will be from Silkeborg in Denmark. Another Danish reference! I saw the 'behind the scenes' segment and it is hilarious. They even managed to squueze goat cheese into the scene which Silkeborg is famous for. And it does seem awfully Danish/Nordic to make a sculpture out of goat cheese. We just gotta show off whenever possible! I am going to be a bit nit picky and say that one can hear quite clearly from Klum's accent that she's not Danish but it only adds to the fun. I am all in for all and any Nordic references. Particularly when they are so hilarious.

Click here to see scene with Heidi Klum

And one the best jokes has to be from season 5 when councilman Milton is wondering where Tom is from. And Leslie answers:"Iceland" in a dead pan way.
I was howling at that scene. It was not the answer I was expecting, it caught me off guard and it was genius in so many ways.

Parks and Rec keeps me laughing all the time and I more than appreciate their subtle and wonderful humour. And the way in which they manage to insert so many Nordic references all over the place is just wonderful. It is also an indication of a well thought and clever humour.

So Parks and Rec gets two thumbs up for Nordic references. 

No comments:

Post a Comment