Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The anthems of my studying and of my youth - a musical geek speaking

I have before written about my intense love for musicals, in fact I dedicated an entire post to a single song I have been loving for the past year and still do. Exam season is almost upon me and as I do a lot of my studying on the computer at my Uni I typically listen to music on youtube while doing so. I love music more than anything (except literature) and it helps me have fun when studying. I scroll through an alarming amount of my favorite Irish music, Disney songs and songs from musicals - yes I do happen to have an awful taste in music :)

And how does this tie in with TV?

One of my most favorite lines ever from NCIS:LA is when Deeks says: "This was the anthem of my youth" in season 4 in reference to his past as a member of rock band when in high-school. It made me grin as the line brought back a flood of memories from my own teenage years and the music I listened to then. I have so many songs that are the anthems of my youth.
Until the age of 16, like the typical European I am, I coveted British boy band. Busted, McFly, Blue; I loved them all. It was so simple during my teenage years - anything British with cute boys and corny music was enough to have me swooning. It was pretty much a rite of passage for every girl to covet British bands. I listened to some of the songs so many times that now many years on I can still sing 'I've been to the year 3000' and 'Five colours in her hair' quite accurately.



As I am now a somewhat more mature Uni student I still retain my love for music but have stopped listening to boy bands. Instead my nerdy love for musicals and Irish music has grown by epic proportions. And things brings me to the two anthems of my studying that I have had for the past year - both incidentally featuring actors from two of my favorite shows. These are songs I have listened to so many times I know them by heart and can sing them if needed. I love these songs to bits. What better to study with than music dedicated to a)one of the best couples on TV and reminds me of my boy band years and b)a musical number that's political satire?
To the music geek in me it equals music paradise.

So without further ado, here are the anthems of my studying (well two of them). I have listened to them so many times it's practically indecent but the way I see it - any music that gets me happy and makes studying fun is worth listening to a thousand times and more.

The lovely song 'Ledge of Love'

Click here for 'I believe' - the music number for the musical geek in me.

And if needed for an extra boost I blast Defying Gravity over and over again. I've known that song by heart for over two years now. It is the anthem of my studying/kicking-ass. Idina Menzel is one of my most favorite singers and I love listening to her songs.


In any case it is quite funny how many memories a single line on a TV show brought me but I liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment