Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Appreciating the NCIS franchise: Ellie Bishop continues to be awesome and a new record for NCIS:LA

Can we take a moment to appreciate how wonderfully entertaining and lovely Ellie Bishop is! Today was her second episode with NCIS and I absolutely loved her character. She is very refreshing and unusual and so different from the other characters. I was grinning from ear to ear at so many of her scenes. It is hard to find a favorite, whether it was her 'getting acquainted' with the dead bodies and saying hello to them, learning whether to warn Tony and McGee or not and learning the ropes. I was delighted to see how well she has been established and how well she fits in with the team. I also enjoy how they have incorporated her working style into the show, taking a moment to focus and talking it out loud to herself. Ellie as a character feels realistic and fun and I can't wait to see more of her. The actress that plays her does a fabulous job it bringing the character to life and giving her nuances and her own strong personality. As an NCIS fan I am more than thrilled with everything concerning the character, absolutely thrilled, and I am looking forward to seeing more of her.

I am also going to say how much I loved last episode. Everything was fabulous regarding the humor. I was enjoying myself so much while watching it and it got me laughing more than once.

NCIS has been on a roll lately and it's been a pure pleasure to watch. Absolute pleasure. I am reminded once and again of how much I love watching the show and what it is I love about it: the combination of incredible characters, humour and interesting storylines. So consider me one very happy NCIS fan!

I was also watching the American edition of the show 'The Bridge' and it is sooo good. I am so thrilled with it. But I realized quickly after watching it that Sonya Cross reminded me quite a lot of Ellie Bishop and the character in the danish/swedish version, Saga Norén, did as well. Both Sonya and Saga are exceptionally well created characters and Ellie as a character is in a similar vein. 

I am also going to take a moment to appreciate the fact that NCIS:LA has now made it 3 episodes without mention Russia. That must surely be a record for them!They did mention Communism but only for historical background.  In fact, NCIS:LA has also been on a roll this season. Á la NCIS:LA, there have been some major mishaps this season but it's largely been highly enjoyable. I have been loving how they've been crafting the characters and transforming them. Nell is going through some great developments as a character and I love watching how they continue to mold her and how she changes. I really appreciate how well they do it. I have also been enjoying Sam Hanna a lot this season, he has been on a roll as well and I've been surprised with how much I have enjoyed him. 

And let's not even begin with Densi. They are truly making fans squirm but it's a good squirm. They are developing the characters and their relationship with care and it feels both realistic and well crafted. It's pure pleasure to watch, it's so good it's even á la Caskett. I am also getting completely caught up in the latest story line. What on earth is Kensi doing in Afghanistan with Granger and how will this develop? Who is she meant to kill? One of the things I enjoy about this story line is that it is placing Kensi in different circumstances where she is not in control and where she is more vulnerable and insecure than usually. It's a shift for the character and it'll be interesting to see how they play around with it. It also adds strength to the characterization to have her in such different circumstances which reveal another side of her. I am looking forward to seeing how it'll develop.

And before I go. I am looking forward to seeing agent Sabatino again. I really like his character. I also discovered recently that the actor that portrays him was also a part of ER. I was a devoted ER fan in my younger years and still am at heart, purely for the nostalgia. For years, I nursed a secret crush on Dr. Green and my sister on Dr. Kovac and we both loved the character Abby. So, I am reminded of me ER fan years :) Just like I was swept back to my 'Without a trace' fan years when I watched NCIS season 9 and Ray Cruz was dating Ziva. I loved that show so much and it's such fun to be reminded of my infatuation with it. So TV can bring back nostalgia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment